Sunday, September 23, 2012

Benefits of Cognitive and Physical Exercise


"The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not" -Mark Twain      

            After a long day at work or school or in some instances both it is natural to want to go home and just relax.  Lay down and watch TV, or simply go to sleep and throughout this hectic day it is so much easier and faster to pick up some fast food instead of having a good healthy sit down meal.  I myself am guilty of both things mentioned.  It seems to me that it is so much more difficult and more expensive for us to stay healthy.  For example, when we do go get our 'fast-food' there is the healthy option of a salad, but the salad alone is six dollars while a burger, fries, and a drink is also six dollars or less.

            What I am getting at are the benefits of cognitive and physical exercise.  In the long run I am going to wish I had exercised after school or work.  I am also going to wish I had ordered the salad instead of that delicious cheap burger.  Studies have shown that, "individuals who are cognitively and physically active are less likely to contract neurological disorders; and if they do, their symptoms tend to be less severe and their recovery better" (Sarkamo et al., 2008).  However, in such correlational studies there are constantly problems of  understanding.  Do more active people tend to have healthier neurological outcomes because they are indeed active, or are they inclined to be more active since they are less ill?  To answer this question there was an experiment done to study the neurological benefits of animal models of epilepsy, Huntington's disease, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Down syndrome and different forms of stroke and traumatic brain damage in an 'enriched environment' which promotes cognitive and physical activity.  The end result was what you probably expected.  A healthier lifestyle may not completely cure, but it does make a big difference in a good way.      

4 comments:

  1. I agree completely with those studies. They are almost like those type of studies that have a "common sense" problem: where you would think that being healthier on the outside makes you healthy on the inside. It's interesting to see the results as truth to the myth. You've definitely shined some light on the matter and now I'm motivated to be healthier! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive gone through my phases where I have been lazy and dont go to the gym and just eat out. When I would do that I literally felt like crap most of the time. I was always lazy and wouldnt really be on top of things, I hated that feeling. Going to the gym everyday I think really helps me out not just by staying healthy but also by keeping my mind busy. I feel like I have alot more energy when it comes to my studies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading some articles awhile back that I really wish I had time to look up and share with you guys (but sadly I don't), that talked about studies that were being done to show that living a healthier life (by eating and exercising) could not just lower your chance of stokes/heart attacks, preventing future brain damage, but it could also help out those suffering depression. Which I think is just amazing. I mean think about it, depression is a really big issue in this generation and to know that being a bit more healthy could help cure/prevent it is just fascinating. I guess what I'm trying to say is I totally agree with your blog and think that this living healthier could really be a big outbreak in science some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Mark Twain's quote at the top and I have recently looked into the neurological effects. This may be a little off topic, but studies have proven that exercise helps neurologically.

    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2006/03/14/the-mind-altering-benefits-of-exercise.aspx

    ReplyDelete