Sunday, September 9, 2012

Nerve Impulse


I wish life was like science, and by this I mean that everything is either black or white.  I wish I could view the world as a scientist, fact or fiction.  Unfortunately things are not always that simple. 

            I suppose the 'All or Nothing Law' interested me because of its black and white nature.  For those who do not know or fully understand the all or nothing law it has to do with nerve impulse.  Basically when stimuli causes an adequate amount of sodium ions to enter the cell, this happens in order to alter the membrane potential  to a point known as the 'threshold' level.  Once at the threshold level action potential is reached.  If depolarization is not sufficient enough to get to threshold,  then action potential as well as an impulse will not be created.  This is the all or nothing law.  To make a long story short ion channels are either open or closed.  There is no middle position.  The way nerve impulse works reminds me of the sodium-potassium pump.  The difference is that the sodium-potassium pump is driven by the breakdown of energy unlike the nerve impulse which is due to voltage.        

            Another reason for my fascination is the fact that these microscopic neurons or as I like to call them little mail men, deliver impulse/information that affect us in our everyday lives.  It is crazy to when you stop and actually think about it.  Things such as touch, motion, and stretching is controlled by this stimuli that starts the nerve impulses.

            If you would like to share my enthrallment I suggest watching this video           

 

4 comments:

  1. Damaris, you really put the all or nothing law into perspective for me! It is true--the all or nothing law is black/white because it's all or nothing. I really liked the way you explained it and the mail men analogy is very fitting and cute! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Brittany. You're blog was well put and I better understand the all-or-nothing law. The video helped as well. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is too cool! I love the way you explain it and the video just confirmed that I really understood the all-or-nothing law. You certainly made science seem not so science-y.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had trouble understanding this topic in the textbook and thats because I read it at least twice. Thanks for elaborating on this subject and the video really helped.

    ReplyDelete