Sunday, September 30, 2012

Evolution of Language


"The limits of my language means the limits of my world" -Ludwig Wittgenstein

            Human communication differs from the communication of other species.  Human language is a system allowing vast numbers of ideas, hopes, dreams, wishes, and feelings to be expressed by combining a finite set of rules.  It is difficult to imagine limitations to what was just described.  What if we were not able to speak or readily communicate?

          Would we find ourselves like our nonhuman primates who cannot tell a story, but simply state their present situations.  Although other species can correspond via vocalizations and gestures their communication serves for warning purposes, unlike humans they cannot express new ideas.  "Language has been called a human instinct because it is so readily and universally learned by infants" (Golinkoff & Hirsh-Pasek, 2006).  This statement really got my attention and got me thinking.  It is interesting to me that humans have evolved in so many ways.  Such as our looks, the way we live, our brain, and our language.  In thinking about any type of evolution a  typical caveman image comes to my mind.  Grunting, yet somehow communicating with fellow cavemen.  Studies propose that human language may have evolved from a capability in understanding that already existed in our primate ancestors.  This to me makes sense being that chimpanzees for instance can interpret many sounds, yet they do not apply excellent motor control over their voices. 

            Communication, whether it be language, sign language, pictures, etc. is an important aspect in our everyday lives which is why this particular topic was so appealing to me.  It was interesting to learn how our brain and what part of our brain is responsible for this.  "Language is the most lateralized cognitive function" (Pinel 426).  
          I found this video and thought that it corresponds to what I am rambling on about.  I also found that it further intrigued me.  Take a look!        

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy how you've been putting quotes at the beginning of your blog entry. The video was a real treat to watch that as well caught my attention when it comes to language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really thought about how our language evolved. Probably because of my human instinct. Its weird how slowly our language has evolved from caveman grunting to a language that we wouldnt be able to live without. Im definitely going to be much more grateful that I can speak a language instead of grunting most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing to see how much our species has changed and how far our language has come. I can only imagine how many different types of grunts we would have to come up now at days and how effective it would really be. Going off on a tangent, I was recently talking to a communication disorders professor and we were discussing how Tex-Mex is it's own language now. I found that so cool on how slang just becomes a language and how not only is a language, but apparently was constructed using the correct parts of making up words.

    ReplyDelete